Thursday, May 10, 2012

Potato soup recipe from 1912 by Nyal's "yearbook"

I came across this "Nyal's Yearbook"  from 1912 in my Grandma Brown's stuff. There are some things in here that I can't imagine using- For example a recipe to preserve eggs, raw.  I'll likely include that one later, but today it's the humble potato, staple of all cold places-that I'm featuring

 Cream of Potato Soup
Six potatos boiled with one large onion, do not drain but strain through collander pressing all through with wooden potato masher: add three cups fresh milk and one tablespoonful of butter. If not thick enough add one teaspoon corn starch moistened with milk; salt and (white) pepper to taste. This will serve seven persons.
(and now a modern note--- if it were me, I'd also be putting a leek in this, because I like leek and potato soup. Maybe a little fresh bacon bits for extra flavour)

Here are some fun facts about Canada as listed in this book-in 1912 (and obviously 100 years out of date now!)
Ontario's Hydro Electric Power transmission lin-293 miles- is the longest in the world.
Canada has the largest grain mills in the British Empire. (hard to believe we were still part of the "Empire" then!)
Montreal Harbour has the largest grain carrying system in the world.
Canada has the largest buffalo herd left on the continent-683.
Canada has the world's largest lift lock in Peterborough Ontario
Canada has one of the highest tides in the world -59 1/2 feet- in Noel Bay, Bay of Fundy.




No comments:

Post a Comment