Thursday, February 23, 2012

Banana Cake

Lately I've been a bit down in the dumps and not having as much fun with life as I should. But i have been baking a lot of stuff. I made a three layer cake for my MIL's birthday, which was actually more like 6 layers, but stacked together it was three layers decorated with fondant, plus a cupcake made into a shoe for the topper. Fun to try for the first time, and it was delicious if I do say so myself. Top layer was chocolate/and vanilla chai with cream cheese filling, then the middle was chocolate, with chocolate frosting , then the lower layer was white cake, with vanilla butter cream. Yummy!
My grandmother was always taking treats, squares, buns what-have-you any time she went to a gathering, church meeting, or visited anyone.
Today I've skipped ahead in her cookbook to bring you all a recipe she has marked as Delicious 
Banana Cake . I suspect that it is banana bread, but it`s not the same as my recipe for banana bread, so I'm writing it out for you anyway.   It calls for sour milk, so I think i would do the vinegar in milk trick to make that, or use sour cream.


Banana Cake (advocate)
 2 eggs
1 cup white sugar
1/2 C shortening
4 Tablespoons sour milk
1tsp soda
2tsp baking powder
2 1/2 cups Flour
pinch of salt
vanilla (she didn't say how much, i'll say 1tsp max)
2 tsp cornstarch
and LAST add 3 bananas mashed fine
Do not be alarmed if batter is stiff. It will be ok.


and as always, no length of time or temperature is listed, cause this was cooked on a wood stove...but i'd say 350-375 for 20-30 minutes, or until you smell it and it looks done!

No comments:

Post a Comment